Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Checking for Bears

Displaying IMG_0484.JPG
View from our first hike



We have one of those sunrise alarm clocks. Despite the pervasive and glorious darkness of the nights here, this alarm allows us to wake up with an artificial sunlight the helps ease the apparent gloom that can set in up here. I like the darkness, which is one of the reasons that I moved here and, with the snow on the ground, it’s really not that dark anyway.

The previous tenants left the gate open one night and woke up to a bear slumbering in the backyard. Knowing this, we have a morning ritual that includes one of us venturing to the backyard and doing a quick search for bears before letting the dogs out to do their business. I did ask my wife once what would happen if we found a bear. Could I really get in the house before the bear could get me? I hope I don’t find out!

My wife testing the strength of Bear Proof Garbage cans. 
The attached apartment has a broken gate, broken by a bear, who then broke into the bear proof garbage can and helped himself to a fine meal of leftovers. These Garbage Bears, as we call them in Juneau, are the most dangerous because they have zero fear of humans. Outside of the Juneau Public Library, in the heart of downtown Juneau, large garbage cans marked “Bear Proof” reside. My wife tried to see how strong they were. 

 This is a different world.

Of course, it’s the dead of winter. The bears are hibernating, so, the ritual of bear checking is an empty one.





We hiked the other day. There is no shortage of places to hike. We climbed this trail—I swear it was a ninety degree slope—and it was no more than twenty-five degrees Fahrenheit. But the view, wow. Nature is a whole new beast here. And, come springtime, I may even encounter some of these beasts on a hike.  


And the snowy beach, middle of a mild blizzard, we piled one of the dogs (the little one was not interested) into the car and drove two miles to the beach. As you can see from this video, she went absolutely mad with delight. And, she is impervious to the cold, as she bounded into the ocean as if it was the middle of August in Miami.


Watching the snowflakes gentle parade to the icy ground, the trees wearing their coats of white, and majestic Mount Juneau disguised behind a shroud of fog, this is my idea of paradise. Never have I longed to be more outdoorsy, never have I admired creation, and never have I been more inspired to write and create and express my awe at my surroundings and my overall feelings as I have since I moved here. I never doubted that we made the right decision to come here. I still don’t. I have no regrets. 

1 comment: