Saturday, December 3, 2016

Welcome to Juneau Alaska!


The reactions, of course, were varied. When we announced that we were leaving good jobs, breaking a lease and packing up to leave for Juneau, Alaska, we had lots of support, lots of skepticism, and lots of tearful goodbyes. In the end, friendly jealousy and lots of loving support was the prevailing reaction.

But, we don’t have kids. Alaska was on my bucket list (only state I had not been too) and, well, why not seek out some adventure? Besides, Northern Exposure is one of my favorite shows. Surely Alaska is like that, right?

So, I arrived Thursday, Dec 1, 2016 at 1:05 PM Alaska time, and hour earlier than Pacific, where I have lived my whole life. Sure, I packed up and moved to Vegas in 2002. But, you could drive or fly home from Vegas, but, Juneau? You had to ferry or fly. No roads in or out. Some say the isolation kills you, Others would say the bears and wolves play a role. I like the fact that it takes an effort to get here and an effort to leave, 

I debarked the plane and made my way to the airport where my wife (who arrived sixteen days prior) was waiting for me with a Santa hat and a sign asking me to join her for our next great adventure. I accepted. We hopped into the car that we barged over and our adventure, officially, began.

I was told that the vastness of Alaska is what would strike me. The hugeness. The cold.  The pictures don’t do it justice, they say. Everything is so big. Well, yes. Massive. Looking out my windows now, snowflakes crash violently to the gravel. Behind the shroud of clouds, majestic Mount Juneau beckons for hikes and explorations. A mile and a half from town, my hope is to be more outdoorsy. My hope if to write more. inspiration is everywhere. The beach is a mile away.

I’ve learned that Tongass National Forest, where I currently reside, is a rain forest. It rains here. A lot. But I’m from Oregon, so that’s okay. The rain here is different, though. It’s more like a constant mist. It feels clean and fresh. Like everything else here. The people here are decidedly laid back and much more polite than my hipster friends in Portland and I have not seen anything even resembling traffic along the main drag through town, Glacier Highway.

It’s not totally foreign. Fred Meyer is here. Costco is here. My wife and dogs are here. Last night, we introduced ourselves to Downtown Juneau the way we lived our lives in Portland, Oregon by enjoying a First Friday Art Walk and then topping it off with tacos at the Taqueria. I did all the tourist stuff here even though I am, almost, a resident.

I’m a night owl but when you only have six or seven hours of winter daylight, you make it a point to get up early and enjoy the day. This morning, as my wife sleeps, I have been up for hours, reading in front of my window (Jeff Buckley’s biography, if you must know), sipping coffee, and listening to Christmas music. Last night, we bought our first Alaskan Christmas Tree Ornaments Next week, we get a tree. This is my favorite time of the year. 


It’s different here. My TV has hardly been on, the cold permeates to the bone, but brings with it, a strange comfort. It’s a fresh start in a fresh land, away from anyone I know, but I’m pleased to be on this adventure with my wife and our two fur babies. I think I’ll stay awhile. I think I’ll tell you all about it.

View from my backyard. Who wouldn't be inspired by that?

8 comments:

  1. Wow I didn't know you were moving to Alaska. How wonderful! I have some friends in Wasilla and they just love it there. Wishing you guys all the best in your new adventure and looking forward to your next post. Happy Exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Justin
    I am so excited to read your up coming adventures! I admire your courage and spontaneity! You are living the dream ofany including us. May the Lord bless you both in all you do..
    Love
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading this. Very impressive. Stay warm and keep blogging. It all sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the spontaneity of your decision. I'll be following your adventures vicariously through your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautifully tranquil view!! Happy writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very happy for you, Andrea, and doggies :)

    ReplyDelete